Friday, April 2, 2010

graveyards

Is this a graveyard to bury her heart or is it a garden where new life will start?

This question posed by Sleeping at Last's song "Keep No Score" reverberates in my mind as Easter approaches. Why does God seem to promise life only after a death has occurred?  Ever feel like there are some years when your need for Easter feels more prominent than in years past? This is my year.

I've known of the gospel story for most of my life but somehow this year is different for me. January and February were months that appeared to be marked by death. The trees held lifeless branches. The skies were gray. The ground was cracked posing threat to any flower that would dare grow. There were a few weeks when the wind chapped my skin (and you know how angry I am when I am cold). The hope of spring was so far away.

Then one Sunday morning I saw a wildflower. Then a patch of wildflowers. Bright reds and blues sprinkled the once brown barren landscape. The sun began to shine with more intensity.  Every year I am shocked when spring finds its way past winters threat. To breathe life into what has been dead. To bring hope in despair.  To remind me that there is always life after death.

Is this a graveyard to bury her heart or is it a garden where new life will start?       

What seems like death is really an invitation to greater life. 

happy easter. 

He is risen. 

amen and amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment